Incredibly profound and clearly presented information on what creates pain in our life and how to transcend it. I have summarized Eckhart Tolle's points in this video entitled:
How To Dissolve the Pain Body:
- Pain is self created as long as the unobserved mind runs your life. The pain you create now is always some form of non-acceptance or resistance.
- On the level of thought, the resistance within you is some form of judgement. On the emotional level, it is some form of negativity. The intensity of pain depends on the degree of resistance to the present moment. And this in turn depends on how strongly you are identified with your mind.
- As long as you are unable to access the power of the now, every emotional pain that you experience leaves behind a residue of pain that lives on in you. It merges with the pain from the past and becomes lodged in your body and mind.
- Breaking ID With the Pain Body: The pain body does not want you to observe it directly and see it for what it is. The moment you observe the pain body, feel its energy within you, and take your attention into it, the identification is broken. A higher dimension of consciousness has come in. I call it presence.
- This means that the pain body cannot use you anymore by pretending to be you and it can no longer replenish itself through you.
- When you thought you knew someone, and then you are confronted with an alien nasty creature for the first time - this is their pain body. It is more important however to observe it in yourself than in someone else.
- The pain body wants to survive just like every other entity in existence, and it can only survive if it unconsciously gets you to identify with it. It will feed on any experience that resonates with anything that creates pain in any form - basically any negative emotions, illness, violence- So the pain body when takes you over, it will create a situation in your life that reflects back its own energy frequency for it to feed on. In other words, it manifests painful situations.
- Once the pain body has taken you over, you want more pain, and you become a victim or a perpetrator. You want to inflict pain, or you want to suffer pain, or both.
- You are not conscious of this of course, and will vehemently claim that you do not want pain. But look closely and you will find that your thinking and feelings are designed to keep the pain going for yourself and others.
- The pain body may seem like a dangerous monster that you cannot bare to look at, but I assure you it is an insubstantial phantom that cannot prevail against the power of your presence. When you become the watcher and continue to disidentify, the pain body will continue to operate for a while and will try to trick you into identifying with it again. Stay present, stay conscious, be the ever alert guardian of your inner space.
- The truth is that the only power there is, is contained in this moment. It is the power of your presence. Once you know that, you also realize that you are responsible for your inner space now - nobody else is - and that the past cannot prevail against the power of the now. Unconsciousness creates presence; consciousness transmutes it into itself.